About the Award
Once per biennium, The Ray Sylvester Distinguished Service Award honors an individual who has provided sustained, non-compensated volunteer service to others beyond the realm of academia. The awardee receives a recognition citation, life membership and a $1,000 donation to a nonprofit cause of their choice.
The selection criteria includes:
- Distinguished record of dedicated, sustained service over many years to one or more causes or organizations (at least six years of substantive service).
- Demonstrated involvement of the nominee's participation in the service activities.
- Evidence of demonstrated impact of the service.
The Ray Sylvester Distinguished Service Award recognizes service over the course of one's professional career beyond the realm of academia. To that end, students are not eligible for this award.
- The nominee must have been initiated by Feb. 1, 2017.
- The nominee need not be affiliated with an academic institution.
- The nominee must be an active member with current dues paid as of Feb. 1, 2022.
- The nominee cannot be a sitting Phi Kappa Phi board member, divisional vice president, member of the Distinguished Service Award committee or Society employee.
- The service cannot be part of the nominee's job description or position.
- The service cannot be the sole donation of money to a cause or organization.
- The service can be performed by a non-U.S. citizen and conducted in any country.
National Office (including application instructions and online application)
1 February 2022